AVI is a standard file format for storing data like audio and video that allows simultaneous audio-with-video playback. This format mainly holds TV shows, movies, and other videos. That said, it became one of the most famous formats for video enthusiasts. Besides that, the AVI format is commendable with its compatibility with most devices and media players, and VLC is no exception. Moreover, playing AVI videos on VLC has issues because of unsupported codecs, corrupted files, and other factors. So to enjoy your AVI videos on VLC without any problem, read until the end!
How to Play AVI Videos with VLC Media Player
VLC Media Player has been a top-notched app in the market since 2001. It is a versatile software that can play audio and video formats, including AVI. You can also play MKV files on VLC for an amazing playback. VLC is an excellent alternative to the built-in media player of Windows or Mac computers. That’s because the control over the volume of the video you play within the media player can be raised to 125% more than the original volume. In addition, VLC is open-source software that makes it available on many devices. That includes computers, smartphones, laptops, Chromebooks, tablets, and more. If you are using VLC on your computer, follow the guide below to see how the AVI VLC Media Player works.
Step 1Save the VLC Media Player
First, go to the official website of VLC Media Player and get the installer for Windows. If you already have the app on your computer, you can pass through this step. After that, launch the tool and acquaint yourself with its main interface, as seen in the image below.
Step 2Import the AVI File
Next, get the AVI video from your computer and do a drag-and-drop method to import it. You can also hit the “Media” button on the top panel of the software. Then, click the “Open File” button from the menu to launch your computer file folder. Choose the AVI video and add it to the media player.
Step 3Play the AVI Video
Once you’ve imported your AVI video, the tool will automatically play it. You can double-click the video if you like to play in full screen. Also, move to the bottom right corner of the player and adjust the volume according to your liking. Hit the “X” icon on the top right corner of the player if you are done watching the AVI video.
How to Fix AVI Video Not Playing in VLC
1Download AVI Codec
If you experienced an “error message” notification while playing AVI videos on VLC, there's a problem you need to fix. Generally, if your AVI file has an incompatible video codec, there is a massive chance that it will fail to play on VLC. That said, you can search on the internet and install the suitable codec to make your video compatible with VLC. This will solve the error that causes VLC AVI codec issues. Another option to fix this issue is to fix the codec within the VLC app. To do so, follow the guide below.
- Launch the VLC app on your computer and go to the “Tools” tab, found on the top panel of the software. After that, hit the “Preferences” button on the menu that will appear.
- Then, select “Input/Codecs” from the new window that will pop out. Move to the “Damaged or incomplete AVI file” section and hit the “Ask for action” button.
- Click the “Always fix” button and the “Save” button to apply the changes at the bottom of the window. Check if the VLC not playing AVI issue is solved.
2Convert AVI to Other Format on VLC
When the above troubleshooting doesn’t work, you can opt for other solutions, like converting the AVI video to another video format. Apart from being a media player, you can use the resize function of VLC, and its converter. There’s no need to use a third-party converter, as the VLC software can do the work. Visit this page if you want to resize your AVI video before playing them with VLC. Furthermore, you can use it as a video converter to transform current video into other formats, such as MP4, MOV, MKV, TS, and more. Before converting, you can adjust the video frame rate for up to 100fps to have a better playback experience. To fix the AVI file not playing in VLC, convert it using the steps beneath.
- Open the VLC Media Player and hit the “Media” button on the app's top-left corner. Afterward, choose the “Convert/Save” button, and another window will appear. Hit the “Add” button and select the AVI video.
- Hit the “Convert/Save” button to proceed to the next window. Then, select the video format you like besides the “Profile” section. Once done, hit the “Browse” button on the lower part to select the destination file.
- Next, click the “Start” button to begin converting. You may go to your set destination file folder when the process is complete. Check the video and see that it is now playable.
Unable to play AVI file in VLC is indeed frustrating. Luckily, there are some solutions that you can do to check if the issue is with the AVI video or the media player itself. Mostly, your AVI file can be played smoothly on VLC by updating its codec. Once the AVI file and VLC don’t have a problem, you can directly play your file without any error. This article provides the best solution to help you solve your AVI playback issues. So, stay calm and read carefully the instructions above to enjoy your AVI videos and other files on VLC!