If you are a video creator, you surely encountered MKV and even used it in one of your videos. MKV is one of the standard file extension formats for video content, and it supports unlimited data, like audio, video, picture, and subtitle tracks. Furthermore, you often fail if you import MKV to iTunes. Since iTunes doesn’t support the MKV format, the best thing you can do is to convert MKV videos to other video formats. Read the entire content below and find the best converters to change MKV videos to iTunes-supported formats.
How to Convert MKV to iTunes-Supported Video Format
Distinctive Feature: It has an “Ultrafast Conversion” feature to convert your files faster than other tools without quality loss.
System Requirements: For RAM-1 GB or higher is recommended/ For Processor-1GHz Intel processor or higher/ For HDD-100 MB or more is preferred
Video Master is a video converter and editor in one. It is responsible for helping you convert your files to the video or audio format you need. You can use it to alter your MKV files to the supported formats of iTunes, including MP4, M4V, and MOV. Apart from that, the software supports converting to and from many other devices, like Apple, Samsung, Huawei, and Sony, to name a few. Moreover, you can make your video professional-looking with the tool’s built-in editor. You can collage your videos, apply filters, texts, and subtitles, or trim unnecessary parts. To convert MKV files to iTunes-compatible format, see the walkthrough below.
For Win 7 or later (64-bit)
For macOS 10.12 or later
Step 1Get the MKV to iTunes Converter
First, check the “Download” buttons above the step and hit the button that matches your computer OS. Pass over the command on the setup box to fully install the tool on your computer. Then, the software will automatically appear on your computer screen once the installation is successful.
Step 2Import the MKV File
Next, open the “Converter” tab and drag and drop the MKV video into the tool to import it directly. Another method you can do is to hit the “Add Files” button on the app's top-left corner to add the video from your computer’s folder. Let the tool acknowledge your file until it appears on its interface.
Step 3Start Converting MKV Files
Afterward, hit the “dropdown” button beside the “Convert All to” button, located in the upper-right corner of the tool. Then, the format window will appear. Hit the “Video” button and select the iTunes-compatible format, like MP4, and the video quality. Once done, hit the “Convert All” button to begin the conversion.
Step 4Play the iTunes-Supported File
Finally, hit the “Converted” tab to see the converted iTunes-supported file. You can see that the file is now in “MP4” format. After that, hit the “Folder” icon to launch the folder where the video is saved. Click the video to play it with a media player. Now, move to the next part to see how you can add converted videos to iTunes.
How to Add Converted Videos to iTunes
After converting your MKV files into an iTunes-supported format, you can transfer them to your iTunes account. If you don’t know how to add converted MKV to iTunes to play it on Apple devices, like iPhone, iPad, or Mac computer, we will share the instructions for you to follow. Moreover, you can also play MKV files on VLC in case you want to adjust the volume of the video when streaming.
- Launch the iTunes app on your Windows or Mac computer and log into your Apple account. Hit the “File” button on the app's upper-left corner and select “Add File to Library.” Then, locate the video that you converted and add it to iTunes.
- After adding the converted video, click the “Home Videos” button to see the added video. You can double-click the video to play it. Meanwhile, you can play the video on other Apple devices through iTunes.
- Connect your Apple device to your computer and sign in to iTunes with your Apple account. Once done, enable “Home Sharing.” Send the added video in “Home Videos” to the Apple device that you’ve connected.
Other Ways to Convert MKV to iTunes-Friendly Format
Distinctive Feature: The tool allows you to preview the video and its live static to see an accurate time frame of the video in real-time.
System Requirements: For RAM-2 GB or more/ For Processor-Intel Core 2 Duo, AMD Athlon X2 or higher/ For HDD-2 GB or higher
HandBrake is a free and cross-platform software for video converting to a wide selection of formats and codecs. This tool can process most multimedia files and BluRay or DVD sources that do not have any copyright protection. Besides that, you can add titles and filters or adjust video quality and audio to your files before converting. Also, the tool allows you to convert MKV files to make them accessible on devices like Apple TV, Chromecast, PlayStation, Fire TV, and smartphones. Moreover, you can adjust the video frame rate, preset, and tune for a better output. Find the details below to convert MKV to iTunes with HandBrake.
- Go to the official website of HandBrake and download it on your computer. After installing, launch the app and hit the “Source” button on the toolbar. Choose the “Open File” option from the menu.
- Import the MKV file and hit the “Browse” button beneath the “Destination” section. Then, select the folder where the new “MP4” file will be stored. Next, go to the “Output Settings” and make sure that the container is in “MP4” by default.
- Lastly, click the “Start” button, and HandBrake will begin converting your MKV file to MP4 format. After the process, locate the video in your set folder and import it to iTunes. You can then enjoy your video without error.
2Freemake Video Converter
Distinctive Feature: It allows you to automatically import your converted files to iTunes or Apple devices, like iPhones.
System Requirements: For RAM-256 MB or above/ For Processor-1GHz Intel, AMD, or any compatible processor/ For HDD-500 MB or more
Another tool to import MKV to iTunes is Freemake Video Converter. Of course, you need to convert MKV videos to iTunes-friendly format before you can import them, and you may convert any video and audio without issues. This software's ability to directly transcode videos from sites like Facebook, Dailymotion, Vimeo, and VK is another beautiful feature you can utilize. You can also put subtitles to your video with Freemake Video Converter in the ASS, SRT, and SSA file formats with different sizes and fonts. Then, rest assured that all your converted videos from this tool don’t have a watermark on them.
- Save the tool on your computer and start it to access its features and primary interface. Then, drag the MKV video and drop it into the converter. You can also convert MKV URLs as you like.
- Next, select the iTunes-friendly format on the bottom part of the tool. You can select between MP4, MOV, M4V, and others. Click your preferred format and hit “OK” to apply it.
- After that, hit the “Convert” button to modify the MKV video to the selected format. Once done, right-click the file and select “Download” from the options. Now that the video is converted, you can directly import it to iTunes.
Distinctive Feature: You can crop the video on every side to make it fit on social media sites like Facebook, TikTok, Instagram Reels, and more.
System Requirements: Chrome 108.0.5359.124
One of the most useful free web-based tools available is Online Convert. Multiple media files can be handled by this tool for free. You may convert videos, audio, pictures, PDF files, E-books, web services, and other media files. The website is straightforward; as soon as you arrive on the page, all the categories are listed simultaneously. Moreover, you can modify the video size, bitrate, frame rate, and more. Also, the tool lets you alter the audio settings, like channels, quality, codec, and frequency. Additionally, you can instantly access the tool's Chrome and Firefox extensions for a quick conversion process.
- Launch the official website of Online Convert using the link above. Select the “Video converter” and choose the output format for the file. We recommend selecting MP4 as it is one of the supported formats of iTunes.
- Then, hit the “Choose File” button and add the MKV video. Modify the video settings, like bitrate, frame rate, orientation, and more. If satisfied, hit the “Start” button to begin converting your MKV video to MP4 format.
- Once the process is finished, hit the “Download” button to save the new MP4 file on your local. Afterward, open your iTunes and add the file to your library. If you want to convert more MKV files, repeat the process.
FAQs About Importing MKV to iTunes
|Tools||Supported Encoders||Supported Formats||Limitations|
|Video Master||H.264, H.265, HEVC, and more||MP4, MOV, AVI, VOB, and more||You can only convert 5 files per day in free version.|
|HandBrake||AV1, H.264, H.265, VP8, and more||MP4, MKV, and WebM||It’s editing feature is limited.|
|Freemake Video Converter||MPEG4, H.264, HEVC, AV1 and AAC||MP4, 3GP, MP3, WMV, and more||The editing feature of the tool can be used only in premium version.|
|Online Convert||MPEG4, H.265, H.264, and more||MP4, AVI, MOV, MKV, and more||It works slowly on low-end computers.|