VOB (Video Object) can contain digital video, audio, subtitles, navigation contents, and DVD menus combined into a stream form. This format comprises data that is utilized to produce a fantastic video-viewing experience. Usually, VOBs are challenging to stream on media players like VLC, Windows Media Player, and QuickTime. That is due to the incompatibility of DVD files with most media players. Moreover, there are some solutions to save your VOB videos on your computer, including passing the “VIDEO_TS” directory from a DVD. However, converting the file for hassle-free streaming is still convenient. Converting VOB to MP4 can be easier, as you didn’t expect to. Follow the tutorial below to know more!
The Best Way to Convert VOB to MP4 Format
Salient Feature: You can enable its “Ultrafast Conversion” feature to convert many files simultaneously without quality loss.
Best For: Fast and high-quality conversion
Video Master is the best tool we highly recommend for media-converting tasks. It is flexible software that can help you convert, edit, and do other things to your video to enhance it. You can use Video Master to change VOB to MP4, but before that, you can set the video quality to up to 1080P or 4K to get a vivid result. In addition, the tool lets you modify the video by merging another video, adjusting effects and filters, or adding subtitles and rotate video Windows 10. Then, the tool uses a hardware acceleration system to fasten the converting process of a 1-hour-long or more video in a minute. Find the tutorial below to discover how to convert your videos to MP4 with Video Master. The example below works the same as VOB to MP4.
For Win 7 or later (64-bit)
For macOS 10.12 or later
Step 1Get the VOB to MP4 Converter
First, locate the Video Master installer above and click the button suitable to your computer OS. The left button is for Windows OS, while the right is for Mac OS. Once done, go after the command on the setup window to ultimately save the software. Open the tool and see its interface, just like the image below.
Step 2Add the Video to Convert
After that, move to the “Converter” tab on the top menu and click the “dropdown” icon beside the “Add Files” option on the top-left corner of the tool. Select between the “Add Files” or “Add Folder” menu to add the video. You can also drag the video straight to the tool for easy processing.
Step 3Begin Converting Video to MP4
The imported video will emerge on the tool once successfully recognized. Now, start converting the file to MP4 by selecting the output format. Hit the “Convert All to” button on the top-right corner of the tool, and the format window will appear. Move to the “Video” tab and select “MP4.” Then, set the resolution to “4K Video” for a high-quality result. Once finished, click the “Convert All” button on the bottom to begin the process.
Step 4Check and Play the Converted Video
Now that the converting process is complete, hit the “Converted” tab to check the new MP4 file. You can rename and play the file in this window. Also, you can locate the video’s output folder by hitting the “Folder” icon. Play the video on your computer and enjoy it without an error.
Top 3 Free VOB to MP4 Converters
Salient Feature: It allows you to convert videos with adjustable frame rate, bit rate, and resolution for an impressive output.
Best For: Converting video and audio on smartphones
VLC is a media player that offers additional features. You can use VLC to convert, record, rotate, and enhance your video. Although it may not offer other advanced editing tools like merging, transitions, and annotations, it is still a recommended converter for every user. Because of being open-source software, you can convert VOB file to MP4 on many devices. Linux, Windows, or Mac computers, iOS or Android smartphones, Chromebook, tablets, and others are some of the few devices where you can use VLC. Furthermore, check the listed steps below to learn how to convert files with VLC.
- Install VLC and launch it on your device. From the “Media” tab in the upper-right corner, click “Convert/Save.” Import the VOB file by hitting the “Add” button. Locate the video and tick the “Open” button to import it completely.
- For the next step, hit the “Convert/Save” button on the bottom window and move to the “Profile” list. Pick the “Video-H.264+MP4 (MP4)” as the output format. Meanwhile, if the format is not visible, click the “wrench” icon to launch the entire output menu.
- Finally, click the “Browse” button to choose the output folder. Once finished, click the “Save” button and pick “Start” from the options to initiate the converting process. You can find the converted video in the specified output folder.
Salient Feature: The tool supports VFR (Variable Frame Rate) and CFR (Constant Frame Rate) to ensure that you meet the required frame rate for your videos.
Best For: Converting videos on Linux OS
Another cross-platform free VOB to MP4 converter you can utilize for converting processes is HandBrake. The tool lets you transcode your existing VOB videos from and to MP4 and other formats. Unlike VLC, this software has more features that help you to tweak your video before converting. It has a wide range of built-in titles and chapter cards, batch scans, subtitles, video filters, and more. Then, you can set the video frame rate to 60fps, change the quality to 1080P, edit the preset, tune, and more. The best thing about HandBrake is it can process files from DVD and BluRay sources, perfect for converting VOB files to other formats.
- Get HandBrake and install it on your computer. Then, move your way to the “Source Selection” area and hit the “Folder” or “File” menu. Select your VOB file from your folders and add it to the app.
- After that, go to the “Summary” panel and choose “MP4” from the format’s “drop-down” list. Next, launch the “Video” tab and set the “Video Codec” to H.264. Once set, select the output folder for the file by clicking the “Browse” button.
- Click the “Add to Queue” button on the top-left area of the window and pick “Add Current.” Then, tick the “Start” button to launch the conversion process. After that, you can locate the new MP4 video in the selected output folder.
Salient Feature: It contains codecs for encoding and decoding audio and video formats, making it convenient for transcoding media files.
Best For: Detailed conversion process with codes and commands
VOB files can be converted to MP4 using the free software FFmpeg. It can also effectively manage other video-to-video, audio-to-video, or video-to-audio converting processes. FFmpeg is another open-source program that offers a vast software suite of libraries and programs. It can handle audio and video and is designed to process them through commands. This software is also helpful in video scaling, transcoding, trimming, post-production effects, and more. Since FFmpeg works with commands, we’ve created a tutorial below to easily convert VOB to MP4 so you won’t get overwhelmed. Following are the processes FFmpeg uses to convert VOB to MP4.
- Install FFmpeg on your computer and start it. To convert VOB, type the following codes in the command line: ffmpeg -i input -acodec libfaac -vcodec mpeg4 -b 1200k -mbd 2 -flags+mv4+aic -trellis 2 -cmp 2 -subcmp 2 -metadata title=X output.mp4
- After that, rename the file on the “metadata title” indicated by the “X” icon. Once you renamed it, hit the “Enter” button to apply the changes. Before converting, type the output location where you want to save the video.
- Lastly, start the processor for the conversion by hitting the “Enter” button again. When the process is complete, you will have the MP4 file on the output location you set a while ago. Check the video and play it.
Best 3 Free Online VOB to MP4 Converters
1Free Video Converter Online
Salient Feature: It has a built-in editor that allows you to crop, trim, rotate, flip, and add watermarks and effects to your video.
Best For: Encrypted and secured video conversion online
If you only need to convert a few VOB files, you can select an online tool, so you don’t need to install other software. With that, we suggest Free Video Converter Online. This online VOB to MP4 converter has many features you can’t see on other free online services. Here, you can alter the video resolution from 270p, 360p, 480P, 720P, 1080P, and more. Also, you can utilize it as a VOB editor to adjust the bitrate from 256kbps up to 8000kbps or customize your preferred bitrate. Moreover, you can set the frame rate of the video to 50fps. When it comes to its converting feature, the tool allows you to convert many VOB files in one click.
- Launch the Free Video Converter Online official website by hitting the above link. Then, click the “Convert Now” button to launch the file folder on your computer. Select the VOB file you want to convert and hit “Open” to add the video.
- Now, the tool will analyze your video, Afterward, hit the “Format” button on the bottom part and select “MP4.” You can also click the “gear” icon if you want to adjust the video resolution, fps, and bitrate.
- Once finished, hit the “Pen” icon beside the video details to edit the video, depending on your liking. Lastly, hit the “Convert” button and choose the destination folder for the file. Then, the conversion process will begin. Finally, go to the output folder and play the MP4 file.
Salient Feature: You can add a watermark using your customized image to let others know that you are the creator or owner of the video.
Best For: Converting files from cloud storage, like Google Drive or Dropbox
CloudConvert is a recommended video and audio converter for basic conversion processes. The tool is among the safest online tools in the market because of its advanced and secure security system. So, you can confidently convert your favorite VOB videos to MP4 format. In addition, you can modify the resolution, aspect ratio, frame rate, and other settings of your video. Furthermore, CloudConvert allows you to adjust the video’s audio settings, such as audio codec, channels, bitrate, volume, and more. This is a suitable tool if you are looking for a VOB to MP4 online converter with convenient features.
- On the tool’s main website, hit the “Select File” button to import a VOB file. You can click the “drop-down” menu if your VOB file is from cloud storage or if it’s a URL. Let the online tool analyze your video.
- Next, pick the menu beside the “Convert to” option. Go to the “Video” menu and determine “MP4” from the selection. Then, hit the “wrench” icon to launch the editing feature of the tool.
- Edit the video according to your preference, and hit “Okay” on the bottom to apply them. Finally, click the “Convert” button to convert your video. Once done, tick the “Download” icon to save the converted video on your local computer.
Salient Feature: It lets you download the converted videos directly to your cloud storage.
Best For: Converting small file sizes of videos
The last online VOB to MP4 converter on our list is the Online Convert. Online Convert allows you to change your video or audio to make them playable on most devices and media players. Aside from video and audio, you can also convert PDF files, eBooks, web services, and more. Then, you can also change the video preset, aspect ratio, bitrate, frame rate, and other essential settings of your video. Besides that, you can enter the URL of the VOB file or import a file from Dropbox and Google Drive. See the listed steps below to discover how Online Converter works.
- Open Online on your web browser and familiarize its converting tab. After that, hit the “Choose File” button to import your preferred VOB file. Alternatively, drop the files right into the tool to import them quickly.
- Edit the video first by taking advantage of the editing features on the bottom part of the converter box. Your settings will automatically apply after inputting and selecting your preferred features. Next, hit the “Start” button to convert your VOB video to MP4.
- Then, tick the “Download” button and keep the converted video on your device. You can now play or transfer the new MP4 video depending on your liking. That’s how easily you can convert videos with Online Convert.
Comparison Between VOB and MP4
|Developer||DVD Forum||Moving Picture Experts Group (MPEG)|
|Supported audio codecs||MP1, MP2, AC-3, DTS, and PCM||MP3, AAC, AC-3, Vorbis, and more|
|Supported video codecs||MPEG-1 and MPEG-2||H.264, H.265, H.263, MPEG-4, and more|
|MIME type||Video||Moving-image, video, aggregate, sound|
|Support||DVDs||All devices and media players|
FAQs About VOB to MP4 Conversion
|Tools||Other Output Format||Other Features||Preview Option|
|Video Master||AVI, WebM, MOV, MKV, etc.||Video merger||Available|
|VLC||MOV, FLV, TS, AVI, etc.||Video rotator||Not available|
|HandBrake||MKV and WebM||None||Available|
|FFmpeg||WMV, AVI, MKV, FLV, etc.||Video trimmer||Not available|
|Tools||Other Output Format||Other Features||Preview Option|
|Free Video Converter Online||WMV, ASF, MPG, GIF, etc.||Audio converter||Available|
|CloudConvert||MKV, MTS, OGG, M4V, etc.||PDF converter||Not available|
|Online Convert||FLV, 3G2, OGV, WebM, etc.||Video compressor||Not available|